This is easy but you need to have everything ready before you start. Experience has taught me it rises better and is a softer texture if you can get it mixed and in the oven within 2 minutes!
- 11 oz (300g) plain flour + 3tsp baking powder (you can just used self-raising but I perfer to mix my own)
- 10floz (300ml) milk
- 5oz (150g) chopped dates (easiest to use kitchen scissors)
- 4oz (110g) dark muscovado sugar
- 2oz (50g) chopped walnuts (I prefer to break them rather than chop so you still have decent sized bits)
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice – optional
- Walnut halves to decorate
Preheat oven to 180/gas 4 and grease and line 2 x 1lb loaf tin, or a deep square tray bake tin.
Sift the flour and spice together into a bowl add the sugar (sometimes that needs sifting too) quickly now add the oil and milk and mix – don’t fuss about lumps – add the dates and walnuts and stir thoroughly, now there wont be any lumps. Quickly spoon mixture into the tins and place walnut halves on top bake for 40-50 mins.